UPDATED: Jul 28, 2014
We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
The infographic below provides a bunch of different auto insurance facts which many drivers and insurance agents may find interesting. Some of the statistics probably will not come as a shock to many, while others fly in the face of myths most of us have been told for years.
Here are some of the highlights from the infographic, formatted and easy to read:
- On average, drivers will have an accident claim every 17.9 years.
- 25 is the magic age when most car insurance premiums go down.
- Red cars are NOT more expensive to insure, contrary to popular belief.
- 16% of drivers are uninsured at any given time.
- Many policies do not cover theft of belongings inside a car. Check with your insurance company to confirm.
For more easy-to-read facts, see below the image.
To view the infographic in its full size, simply click anywhere on the image.
- All 50 states require drivers to carry car insurance.
- 28% of all fatalities are younger than 25 years old.
- Trucks have the highest average loss per claim, followed by cars then SUVs.
- 84% of people use their seatbelts.
- 55 out of every 100,000 registered motorcycles are involved in a fatal accident, compared to only 9 out of 100,000 for passenger cars.
- 16-19 year olds are 3 times more likely to have a speeding violation.