Automobile Insurance Facts (Infographic)
Interesting car insurance facts include that average drivers make an accident claim every 17.9 years and that red cars are not more expensive to insure. See more car insurance facts and figures and compare car insurance quotes below.
Are you looking for free insurance quotes?
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Jul 22, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by insurance experts.
The infographic below provides a bunch of different auto insurance facts which many drivers and insurance agents may find interesting. Some of the statistics probably will not come as a shock to many, while others fly in the face of myths most of us have been told for years.
Here are some of the highlights from the infographic, formatted and easy to read:
- On average, drivers will have an accident claim every 17.9 years.
- 25 is the magic age when most car insurance premiums go down.
- Red cars are NOT more expensive to insure, contrary to popular belief.
- 16% of drivers are uninsured at any given time.
- Many policies do not cover theft of belongings inside a car. Check with your insurance company to confirm.
For more easy-to-read facts, see below the image.
To view the infographic in its full size, simply click anywhere on the image.
- All 50 states require drivers to carry car insurance.
- 28% of all fatalities are younger than 25 years old.
- Trucks have the highest average loss per claim, followed by cars then SUVs.
- 84% of people use their seatbelts.
- 55 out of every 100,000 registered motorcycles are involved in a fatal accident, compared to only 9 out of 100,000 for passenger cars.
- 16-19 year olds are 3 times more likely to have a speeding violation.