We Recommend Travelex
Trawick International Summary
Founded in 1998, Trawick Insurance catered to international students or researchers who had come to the U.S. for educational purposes. They have since expanded to meet the needs of other travelers, adding trip cancellation and interruption plans, travel medical for all kinds of travelers, and group plans as well.
Trawick International has its headquarters in Mobile, Alabama, but serves U.S. citizens from across the country. They also write policies for visitors to the U.S. who need health insurance while here on vacation or longer visits. They also continue to sell study abroad insurance to students.
Policies are sold directly through the company’s website, as well as through independent travel and insurance agents across the country.
Trawick offers two main types of travel insurance plans – those for people visiting the U.S., and those for U.S. residents traveling abroad. There are several options available under each category.
Travel Insurance for U.S. Visitors
The Safe Travels USA plans are designed specifically for visitors to the U.S. who need health insurance, trip cancellation and interruption, and other travel insurance coverage.
- Safe Travels USA is a primary insurance plan that does not require any underlying insurance for coverage. It covers foreign nationals who are visiting the U.S. and traveling on to other countries. Coverage can be purchased for periods from 5 days to 12 months at one time.
- Safe Travels USA Trip Protection covers trip cost for cancellation, interruption and travel delays. It is available for periods between 1 and 90 days.
- Safe Travels USA Cost Saver is a travel insurance plan that covers medical expenses at a secondary level, as well as providing medical expatriation and other services.
- Safe Travels for Visitors to the USA is a primary medical plan for visitors to the U.S staying up to a year. There are several levels of this plan available with different coverage limits, and there is even a plan for Seniors.
Travel Insurance for International Travel
These plans are designed for international travel that does not include visits to the U.S. There are a number of options to choose from, all of which mirror the USA plans, but for international travel instead.
- Safe Travels International is a primary medical plan similar to the Safe Travels USA plan, and it covers medical expenses without need for an underlying plan, as well as medical evacuation and repatriation.
- Safe Travels International Trip Protection covers cancellation, interruption, trip delay, and a variety of other trip-related costs.
- Safe Travels International Cost Saver is just like the USA version, covering medical expenses on a secondary level, as well as providing extended travel medical services such as emergency evacuation.
- Safe Travels International Missionary Care is a plan specifically designed for people traveling abroad to do missionary work.
Student Insurance/Study Abroad Plans
Insurance for international students while studying in the U.S.A. was their first product, and Trawick offers the same two policy types today as they did when they opened their doors nearly 20 years ago.
This plan comes in three different levels – Standard, Preferred, and Premier. The plans are designed for students, faculty, and their families while studying or doing research in the U.S.A. The plans cover anyone with a passport or visa whose permanent residence is located outside the U.S.
Each plan has an increasing level of coverage, allowing students to choose the right option for their budget.
International Student and Scholar Medical Evacuation and Repatriation
As the name implies, this plan is designed for students traveling abroad and provides medical evacuation coverage in case of the need for medical transport. This plan is only available for those who have a primary health plan already in place during travel.
The quoting system on the Trawick website is complicated and requires several steps to complete, as well as more information than is generally required by other travel insurance sites.
The Safe Travels International Plan is the simplest one to quote, so we obtained rates for that plan. A quote for a 30-year-old traveler with a two-week trip from the U.S. to Mexico with the base level coverage – $50,000 of medical with a $250 deductible, came back at $16.50.
The same trip with $1,000,000 in coverage came back at a premium of $30.
We also quoted the Safe Travels International Trip Protection Plan, which includes medical and trip cancellation/interruption among other features. With a trip cost of $5000 and a $250,000 medical limit, we returned a rate of $198.
These rates are very reasonable and on the lower side compared to similar insurance plans. Some of the longer term plans and study abroad plans may vary in cost, so it’s best to contact Trawick directly for personalized quotes.
There is very little information on the Trawick website regarding claims, aside from a short FAQ section. There is no indication of how claims should be submitted. While that might make some sense for medical plans where providers bill directly, other types of trip insurance usually have a claims form required and a method for submission.
The website FAQ page for claims does provide a link to a PDF of the claims form which can be downloaded and printed. A clearer explanation of the claims process is preferable on a travel insurance website.
It appears that all claims questions can be addressed to the customer service phone number or a basic service email. There is no online claims submission option.
Trawick International is a Better Business Bureau accredited company that has earned an A+ rating based on their multi-factor rating system. The BBB records no complaints against the company in the past three years.
Overall, reviews of the company are generally positive, both on the customer service end when purchasing the policy and for those who used the coverage. International visitors who buy the coverage may be less likely to leave reviews due to language barriers, which could impact the number of ratings available. Overall, however, there is no major cause for worry with the reviews of this company.
Trawick Insurance is a good choice for both visitors to the U.S. and for U.S. citizens traveling abroad. With a variety of coverage levels and options for both primary and secondary coverage, there are plans to meet most needs. The rates are very reasonable and the company has a generally good reputation, making them a strong choice for basic travel medical and trip insurance.
For a list of companies that we recommend, visit our Best Insurance Companies page.