Compare Insurance Quotes
Today, Rockingham Mutual has grown and changed, merging with other, smaller Virginia insurance companies and moving into a corporate office building in Harrisonburg, Virginia.
Despite its growth, Rockingham remains a small, highly targeted company.
It insures around 50,000 people and offers coverage only to residents of Virginia and Pennsylvania. Its primary focus remains on property insurance, including home, business and farm coverage, but it has begun offering some vehicle coverage as well as a few international products for US citizens living overseas for military assignments or other work needs.
Because Rockingham Insurance is a community-focused company, it sells the majority of its policies through local agencies. Altogether, about 100 independent agents in Virginia and Pennsylvania are licensed to sell Rockingham policies. Quotes can also be obtained directly from the Rockingham Group website.
Rockingham sells insurance for a variety of vehicle types:
- Family autos
- Commercial vehicles
- Motor homes and other recreational vehicles
- Classic and collector cars
Depending on the type of vehicle you’re insuring, the coverages and protection you can buy will differ. Coverages and discount availability may also slightly differ between states as the insurance requirements in Pennsylvania and Virginia are not identical.
As you explore Rockingham’s offerings, you quickly discover that the company does not actually underwrite all of the policies it sells. Although it brokers motorcycle and classic car policies, these are actually handled by Progressive, GMAC and Hagerty.
Personal auto policies come with basic coverages for liability and first-party protection for damage against your vehicle. They also come with a few additional perks:
- First Accident Forgiveness – Most insurance companies are now offering some type of accident forgiveness. Basically, this means that you won’t receive any “points” against your record after your first accident, so your insurance rates should not increase as a result of one collision.
- Rental Reimbursement – Rockingham offers a $30 per day transportation expense reimbursement up to a limit of $900. This is fairly standard for rental reimbursement among insurers, and will barely cover the cost of a compact car from most rental companies. If you want to rent a more expensive vehicle to accommodate your family, you may need to pay the difference out of pocket.
- Towing and Labor – Whenever your vehicle is disabled, even if not as a result of an accident, this coverage will provide a $75 credit toward the towing, tire change or other simple roadside assistance service. Again, this is pretty standard, although some companies will only reimburse up to $50.
- Deductible Reduction – This is actually an interesting feature. If you choose to work with one of Rockingham’s “preferred provider” repair shops, your deductible can be cut in half (up to $250) after a collision. You can also have your deductible cut in half if your parked car is damaged in a hit-and-run or by a known driver proven to be uninsured.
- Supplementary Payments – This is another interesting one. Rockingham will pay up to $300 for bail bonds that arise as a result of an accident. it will also pay up to $300 per day for lost earnings if you have to miss work to attend a hearing or trial at Rockingham’s request.
Keep in mind that these features come with an extra cost. You pay one single premium increase to obtain all of the above, rather than picking and choosing what you need. It’s up to you to decide if the extra perks are worthwhile; for a lot of people, they’re really not, especially as the money you can save over the lifetime of a policy could far out-strip the benefits arising from the one or two claims you’re ever likely to file.
Car Insurance Discounts
Rockingham does offer a handful of discounts to drivers. Most of these, like the good student and multi-policy discounts, are pretty standard among all insurers. There are a couple of more unique offerings:
- New Family Discount – New parents with a child under the age of 6 can obtain a 10% discount, probably because parents of young children are likely to drive safely while their kids are in the car.
- Full Pay Discount – If you opt to pay the full premiums in advance, you can save some money. The discount is 6% if you pay a year at once and 3% if you pay twice a year.
- Customer Loyalty – You’ll save 1% on your premiums with each annual renewal up to a 10% total discount.
Rockingham’s roots are in property insurance, and it continues to insure multiple types:
- Mobile and manufactured homes
- Farms and ranches
- Rental properties
Renter’s policies are also available for people who do not own their own homes. Unlike standard homeowners policies, a renter’s policy protects only your personal belongings, not the structure of the property you’re renting. There is also a liability aspect that will help cover accidents that occur on the rented property.
Basic homeowners policies protect the house and its contents against standard risks. The exact risks you’re insured against can vary between policies, and you can modify them to better meet your needs. For example:
- You can add protection for water and sewer backup, such as what can occur when a sump pump fails.
- You can boost the protection for your expensive personal property such as jewelry or electronics.
- You can buy protection for identity theft, including the cost of resolution and reimbursing expenses that occur as a result of your identity being stolen.
- You can get equipment breakdown coverage for electronic devices that might fail, regardless of the actual cause of that failure. That includes things like home security systems, water heaters, air conditioners, refrigerators, etc.
This last one is an important coverage to consider as it can have a snowball effect on your house. For example, if your heater breaks, it might cause your pipes to freeze and burst. One added benefit to this particular coverage is that Rockingham will replace your broken-down device with a more eco-friendly alternative, even if it costs more than the appliance they’re replacing.
Home Insurance Discounts
Rockingham offers a handful of discounts to homeowners:
- New Home Discount – You can save anywhere between 4 and 25% on your premiums if you own a new home. The newer the home, the more you save. This is because new homes tend to be sturdier and up-to-date with the newest codes, making them less likely to sustain serious damage during a storm or other claim.
- Multi-Policy Discount – If you carry both home and auto insurance, Rockingham will shave off 20% or up to $400 (whichever is less) of your combined premiums.
- Home Safety – Houses with certain safety features including fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, deadbolts and home security systems can save up to 10%.
- Claim-Free – If you go three or more years without filing a claim, you can reduce your premiums by 5 to 10%
- Non-Smokers – If nobody in the household smokes, you can get a discount of about 5%. This is likely offered because of the risk of accidental fire caused by smoking.
Rockingham provides some business insurance products for farms and small businesses.
Business-owners coverage offers a combination of coverages:
- Commercial property protection for your office building, storefront or other place of business.
- Loss of income coverage for when your business is interrupted by a covered loss.
- Equipment breakdown, particularly for farm equipment.
- Commercial vehicle coverage.
Workers compensation, worker health insurance and other related options can be brokered through Rockingham as well, although these policies will be outsourced to a different company.
You can purchase a Rockingham Group policy through an agent or obtain a quote online. The quote form can be found on the website on both the top and right navigation bars. Click “Get a Quote” and fill out the form to obtain one.
The form is fairly extensive, and most of the questions easily relate to the various discounts and extra coverages Rockingham offers.
Using our standard driver profile, I came up with an annual premium of $581, which works out to $48.42 monthly. This is for a policy with $100/300,000 BI, $100,000 PL, $1,000 deductibles for collision and comprehensive, and $900 maximum rental reimbursement.
Of course, your rates will differ depending on what coverages you add, your driving history, the type of car you’re insuring and any discounts you may or may not qualify for.
These results are lower than the state average for insurance in Virginia, which is $679.
To file a claim with Rockingham, you can:
- Call your local agent
- Report the claim online
- Call 800-662-5246, available 24/7
If you do file online, you can find the form under the “Claims” tab of the Rockingham website. Different types of claims will have different forms, so be sure you’re using the right one to expedite the process.
The claims form is simple and requires just your contact information, info about your vehicle or property, and a description of the loss. You can also upload photos if you have some.
Rockingham is a pretty small company, and it has little web presence, making it hard to track down consumer reviews. Although the company is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau it does have an A rating and three complaints listed on the website, one closed in the last 12 months.
|Rating Company||Grade||Financial Outlook|
Rockingham has a lot of good things going for it. It has a long history, giving it stability; it offers affordable coverage and it has no legacy of disgruntled customers filing complaints.
Overall, it seems like a very solid option if you happen to live in either of the states it covers. This is, of course, the biggest problem with Rockingham. For an older business, it has remained very small. Also, if you’re looking at a policy for a motorcycle, classic car or anything else that Rockingham outsources to another company, consider getting a quote from that company directly instead, unless it disqualifies you from a multi-policy discount.
For a list of companies that we recommend, visit our Best Insurance Companies page.