We Recommend Hiscox
The company’s relationship with the industry is unique. It provides direct line products only to agents whose companies are re-insured by WRC and allows a special discount when the customer is insured by both the mutual company and 1st Auto.
The company prides itself on specializing in insurance for farmers, rural areas, and small towns.
Personal and commercial: WI, IA, SD, AR, MO, IL.
Standard coverage’s for liability, bodily injury, property damage, but endorsements can extend coverage’s to antique and classic autos, motorhomes, trailers of all types, and up to one-ton pickup trucks.
1st Auto’s umbrella automatically includes personal injury coverage for libel, slander, false arrest, or wrongful eviction. Special discounts apply if personal auto coverage with 1st Auto is carried.
- Personal and farm liability — Farms often have liability coverage needs that blur the line between personal and commercial liability. 1st Auto has a variety of customizations to fit a particular situation, from environmental hazard exposure to accident coverage.
- Farm truck insurance — Farms typically have vehicles that exceed the normal limits of personal coverage but don’t necessarily fall under the categories for commercial auto. 1st Auto can insure farm trucks and semis to cover both personal and farm use.
- Commercial auto — 1st Auto’s commercial auto insurance is geared to individuals who use their vehicle in a business and it offers special discounts if combined with a supporting mutual policy or 1st Auto personal policy.
1st Auto is marketed through independent agents who are also appointed by mutual affiliates. A list of agents can be found online.
Because rates are affected by mutual affiliates as well as standard insurance criteria, it is impossible to offer a baseline comparison. However, 1st Auto rates have a reputation for being very competitive in the upper Midwestern states.
Customers must contact their agent to file a claim although they can also get assistance by calling 800-261-2886.
1st Auto & Casualty has a rating of A- from the Better Business Bureau. The BBB recorded just one complaint in the last three years; zero complaints in the last 12 months.
Results are similar from the NAIC (National Association of Insurance Commissioners) Center. Based on a national median complaint ratio of 1.00, 1st Auto & Casualty received the following scores in 2013:
- Private passenger auto insurance: 1.08 (two complaints).
- Commercial auto: 0.00 (zero complaints).
|Rating Company||Grade||Financial Outlook|
If you live in a small town or rural area, you can benefit from 1st Auto & Casualty’s rate structure. In these areas, they are definitely worth looking into when you go shopping for insurance to cover vehicles, personal liability, or farm liability. Even though their claims procedure may seem a bit old fashioned, they have an excellent record for customer service. The major mark on this review comes from their financial strength rating. In the insurance industry, a B+ from AM Best is not very good.
For a list of companies that we recommend, visit our Best Insurance Companies page.