Great American Insurance Group Summary
A subsidiary of American Financial Group, Inc. (AFG), Great American Insurance Group is headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio. The company traces its roots back to 1872 with the founding of the German-American Insurance company in New York. Its property and casualty group is made up of 30 specialty insurance divisions that focus on customized commercial products and services for businesses. Its business coverage is available in multiple states with more than 100 offices throughout the country.
In June, AFG promoted Jeffrey A. Cruey to Divisional President of Great American Insurance Group.
With products sold through the company’s individual divisions, Great American insurance prides itself on providing personalized service to its customers across a wide selection of business niches.
Great American Insurance can offer broad coverage for elements such as commercial auto, inland marine, general liability, and professional service liability. Its strengths are in custom solutions for:
- Agricultural-related insurance covering crops, forestry, fishing, livestock, and equine mortality.
- Communication and media including telecommunications, video, and Internet.
- Education and social service businesses.
- Construction, including contractors, subcontractors, specialty contractors, suppliers, architects, and engineers.
- Healthcare, nursing, medical, and dental services.
- Amusement, recreation, restaurants, and lodging.
- Manufactured goods, wholesaling, transportation, retail trades, and repair and parking services.
- Membership organizations and associations, museums, art galleries, and botanical and the zoological gardens.
- Professional services from legal to research to management and a separate division servicing just the financial institution service industries such as banking, insurance, and real estate.
|Quote Test Results|
|Rate Test Details|
Because Great American Insurance sells through independent agents who deal with their various specialty divisions, prices and premiums can vary greatly based on circumstances. Great American does not offer any online quoting options.
To make claims, customers must contact their agent or use a division-specific claims contact phone number listed on their website.
Great American insurance is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau. The BBB gives it a rating of A+. Only 18 complaints have been filed with BBB in the last three years; eight were closed in the last 12 months. Two-thirds of the total complaints were product/service issues. Three were guarantee/warranty issues, and three were advertising/sales issues.
|Rating Company||Grade||Financial Outlook|
Great American Insurance is a specialized business insurance company that can provide a unique set of coverages. Companies looking for very specific insurance protection may find Great American a good fit for their needs. They are located all over the country, and can provide protection for small and medium-sized businesses as well.
There are a lot of complaints regarding their health and worker’s compensation insurance, many of which appear to have come from company employees who have the coverage. The main issues are related to billing and claims being denied.
If you have a business that needs specialty insurance coverage, Great American is a good company to check out. They provide a number of different solutions that could be a good fit for a unique business.
Companies looking for workers compensation or health insurance for their employees may want to dig a little deeperl before signing up with Great American, since there are a lot of complaints regarding these programs.
Best Insurance Quote Providers:Auto Insurance - Liberty Mutual
Home Insurance - Liberty Mutual
Life Insurance - QuinStreet Life
Health Insurance - eHealthInsurance
Business Insurance - Hiscox Insurance
About the Author
I am a former insurance agent turned consumer advocate. My priority is to help educate individuals and families about the different types of insurance they need, and assist them in finding the best place to get it.