Foremost Insurance Summary
Foremost insurance was founded in 1952 to insure mobile homes. In the decades since, the company has expanded to include a variety of personal and commercial insurance products. In 2000 Farmers Insurance Group acquired Foremost, but the company is still known best for its mobile home, recreational vehicle, and motorcycle products.
Foremost sells policies through Farmers Insurance Group’s network of agents and through independent agents. The company’s underwriting guidelines typically allow for higher risk products, such as vacation and seasonal home insurance, personal recreational vehicles, watercraft, and motorcycles. Because Foremost products have different risk guidelines, Farmers agents may run quotes through both companies to get the best deals.
Most Foremost products can only be purchased through a Farmer’s agent or independent broker, but not online. Foremost’s website allows a customer to find the agents within their area, and some agents offer an online quoting process.
Consumers should compare with other companies to make sure they are getting a good rate. Like many companies, Foremost offers discounts for multiple products, making them attractive for those who have more complex insurance needs such as combining a personal home policy with insurance for rental property.
- Auto Insurance: Foremost auto policies are not yet available in all states, but the company has plans to make coverage available throughout the U.S. within the next five years. Foremost auto insurance typically accepts some higher risk drivers, and its rates for those drivers are usually competitive with the established high-risk carriers.
- Home Insurance: Foremost insurance products are intended to cover higher risk properties. Although standard single-family home policies are available, it specializes in manufactured and mobile homes, vacation homes, seasonal homes, vacant property, and rental property and landlord coverage.
- Vehicle Insurance: Foremost covers specialty vehicles such as motorcycles, motor homes, fifth wheels, travel trailers, and luxury motor coaches. It also covers sports vehicles including off-road vehicles, scooters, golf carts, neighborhood electrical vehicles, snowmobiles, and collectible cars.
- Watercraft Coverage: Foremost offers coverage for boats and personal watercraft including jet skis, kayaks and canoes, and windsurfing boards. Often hard to find, personal watercraft insurance is not available in Florida or Washington, D.C., and all coverage is limited to the United States.
- Flood Insurance: Foremost offers flood insurance to cover both residential and nonresidential structures, even in high-risk areas. Coverage is available only up to the maximum limits of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
- Business Insurance: Foremost offers a basic business owner policy, umbrella policies, workers compensation coverage in selected states, and commercial auto insurance in most states except California. It will also write policies through Zurich Small Business, a division of Farmers.
Foremost Insurance Price (Rates)
|Quote Test Results|
|Rate Test Details|
Foremost only provides quotes through a licensed Farmers agent or an appointed independent broker. Prices and available coverage can vary considerably from state to state.
For personal insurance, Foremost shares the claims system hosted by its parent company, Farmers Insurance Group. Personal lines customers can file their claims online or by phone.
For business insurance, claims must be filed based on the policy type. Foremost underwrites some policies through the Zurich Small Business. Those must be filed with that company. Foremost business customers are typically better off to begin a claim through their agent.
Consumer Research and Complaints
The Better Business Bureau gives Foremost an A+ rating. It shows that 90 complaints were closed within the last three years, with 74 complaints concerning products or service. Considering the company’s size, this is a relatively low number.
|Rating Company||Grade||Financial Outlook|
Foremost’s strength is providing coverage for niche markets such as motorcycle coverage, recreational vehicles, sports vehicles, and non-traditional homeowner policies. Foremost is traditionally willing to take on higher risk coverage, such as log cabins, at reasonable, though not low, rates. Customers who have simple needs, great credit, and a good driving record will probably do better elsewhere. When needs, credit, or driving records are more complicated, Foremost is worth a look.
For a list of companies that we recommend, visit our Best Insurance Companies page.